Sergej Zilitinkevich was an extraordinarily creative scientist. His main research area was boundary layer dynamics and turbulence. He utilized his knowledge widely in different scientific disciplines.
The following organizations have jointly decided to establish the Sergej Zilitinkevich memorial award:
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
- European Meteorological Society (EMS)
- International Eurasian Academy of Sciences (IEAS)
- The Atmosphere and Climate Competence Center (ACCC)
- The Institute for atmospheric and Earth system research (INAR) and National Network
- Finnish Geophysical Society
- Finnish Foundation for Aerosol Research
The award is an international award, and it will be delivered annually to a creative scientist who has made breakthroughs in atmospheric sciences or oceanography. Nominations for the award are openly selected within international research networks, particularly those related to Zilitinkevich’s activities.
Nominations for the Sergej Zilitinkevich Award
- Nomination letter
- Supporting letters
- Curriculum Vitae. Including a short one page summary
- Publication list
The documents should be send to hanna.k.lappalainen(a)helsinki.fi & markku.kulmala(a)helsinki.fi by 31st Otober 2021.
For more information, contact the Chair of the Nomination Committee markku.kulmala(a)helsinki.fi, or the Secretary of the Nomination Committee hanna.k.lappalainen(a)helsinki.fi.
Nomination Committee members
- Petteri Taalas, World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
- Heinke Schlünzen, European Meteorological Society (EMS)
- Valery Bondur, Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS)
- Markku Kulmala (Chair), The Atmosphere and Climate Competence Center (ACCC) / The Institute for atmospheric and Earth system research (INAR)
- Ari Laaksonen, Finnish Geophysical Society
- Kaarle Hämeri, Finnish Foundation for Aerosol Research
- Hanna Lappalainen (Secretary), The Atmosphere and Climate Competence Center (ACCC) / The Institute for atmospheric and Earth system research (INAR)
01 – 31 Oct: Open for proposal submission
01 – 14 Nov: Evaluation of submitted proposals
15 Nov: Final approval of the award winner by the committee
22 Nov: Awardee is informed that they will receive the award at the ACCC Impact Week, Sergej Zilitnkevich seminar on 7th December.
07 Dec: Award ceremony and a presentation by the 1st Zilitinkevich award laureate
Read a short biography of Prof. Sergej Sergeevich Zilitinkevich here.